It feels so embarrassing when you see that you can’t fit your bag in the plane’s overhead bin, isn’t it? Many of us often travel by air, and we pay no attention to our packing system. We just grab our belongings and pack them in a bag. But when we go to the airport, we realize the real problem.
It oftenhappens that we can’t keep our bags in overhead boxes, or we have to pay extra for our bags even if we don’t keep many things.
Again, there are times when we feel confused about which bag to take on the plane. One such bag is the duffle bag. There is often a common question that Can a duffle bag be a carry-on Delta? Well! To find this answer, you must first know Delta’s guidelines about carry-on.
Delta’s Carry-On Policy
Delta Airlines has a clear-cut carry-on rule. According to their rule, each passenger can bring 1 personal item and 1 carry-on bag. They don’t have to pay any extra charges for these. This rule will also apply to you if you are a passenger on a basic economic flight. While choosing a personal item, you need to keep in mind that you have to keep this item under your seat. So, make sure that there will also be space for your legs and feet.
Personal Items as Carry-On
Although Delta does not mention any exact size of a personal item, as we have said before, you need space for your legs and feet. So, try to pick any smaller bag or thing to carry as a personal item.
You can bring:
- A laptop bag
- Or a backpack, purse, briefcase, or camera bag
- Or any 1 item that is similar to or minor to the ones introduced above.
But when choosing personal items, try to choose things that will not cause any discomfort for you to sit.
Carry On Size
Delta Airlines has specific requirements about carry-on sizes. You can find these requirements at their ticket counters and gates. However, many people often do not notice the templates hanging at the gate and ticket counter. So, it is good to learn about it in advance and get ready in that way.
- The baggage’s total width, height, and length should not surpass 45 linear inches (114 cm).
- Specific measurements of length, height, and width must not exceed 9 by 14 by 22 inches (23 cmby 35 cm by56 cm). These dimensions are applicable for any wheels or handle on your luggage.
However, if you carry any smaller musical instruments that can fit in the overhead bin or the space under your seat, then your belongings are exempt from these limitations.
When it comes to carry-on weight restrictions, Delta is quite liberal. Except for some selected international routes, Delta does not enforce weight restrictions on carry-on bags.
The selected routes are:
- Beijing-China and
While traveling in the above routes, you need to follow the underneath carry-on weight restrictions:
Changi International Airport (SIN): The maximum weight limit for carry-on luggage is 15 pounds (7kg).
Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK): The Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) declared that passengers could bring hand-carry luggage which weighs 10 kg or less. Individual carrier policies apply to international flights.
Pudong International Airport (PVG): The weight of a carry-on bag cannot exceed 22 pounds (10kg)However, you should keep in mind that they give you freedom in terms of carry-on weight, but that does not mean that you can bring very heavy bags. This is for your own sake as you have to fit the bag overhead bin yourself.
Free Carry-On Items
Delta also allows you to bring some specific carry-on items completely freely. Like-
- A jacket or an umbrella
- Any kind of duty-free items
- After passing through the security checkpoint, any drinks or food you purchased.
- Strollers, wheelchairs, kid safety seats, and assistive devices.
Can a Duffle Bag Be a Carry-On Delta?
After reviewing all the requirements of Delta Airlines, you can be sure that you can easily use the Duffel bag as a carry-on. But in this case, you have to choose a duffel bag that will not exceed the Delta carry-on size requirement. In our opinion, 35 L size Duffel bags will be able to meet your requirement perfectly. The duffel bag of this size does not exceed the limit of 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches.
Nowadays, there are specially designed Duffel bags available for travel in the market. You can use them as your carry-on. A great advantage of this type of bag is that it has cross body steps that will help you carry hands-free. We will suggest you not use any roller duffel bag as it is relatively heavier than a regular one. So, it may make it problematic for you to keep it in the overhead bin.
Some Tips to Pack your Duffle Bag as A Carry-On
When you are using your duffle bag as your carry-on, you need to be very organized about packing it. Because you have to fit all your travel necessaries in this bag. But don’t panic! Here, we are giving you some tips which will help you get your packing done in a very neat way.
- It isn’t easy to see all the items in the bag. It’s also a common occurrence to clutter up all clothing for a specific look. To avoid this unpleasant phenomenon, you can use packing cubes.
- When you put your used shoes with clothes, there is a possibility of clothes getting dirty from the shoes So you can keep your shoes in any separate compartment of the bag.
- If you want to put your vital documents like flight passes, passports, notebooks, etc., in your duffle bag, it is good to place them in an exterior pocket that is simple to reach. If you keep them in the large main compartment, you may not be able to find them when you need them.
- Gather all your toiletries items in a small bag and then put the bag in the bag’s main compartment.
- If you don’t bring your laptop bag separately, you can keep your laptop in your duffle bag. There are many duffle bags available these days that have a separate sleeve for the laptop. If you do not have this type of sleeve in your bag, you can keep the laptop with clothes in the main compartment.
- Other miscellaneous items, especially those you won’t need while traveling, should be layered on top of your clothes in the center console. You can use little pockets in your duffel or an accessory bag for small goods to keep them from drifting around and getting misplaced.
After reading this whole article, we hope you can overcome your confusion about this overspread question: Can a duffle bag be a carry-on Delta? So don’t worry about bringing a duffle bag while traveling by Delta Airlines. If you follow the size requirements, you won’t need to pay extra for your bag or carry your bag in a sizing cage.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1.Do Duffle Bags Count As Carry On?
Ans: Yes. As long as your duffle bag is within the airline’s size requirements for carry on luggage, you can use a duffle bag as a carry on item.
2.Is Delta Strict About Carry On Size?
Ans: Delta do not enforce any restrictions when it comes to the weight of your carry on. So, that’s one less worry – meaning you only have to concentrate on the dimensions.
3.Is A Duffel Bag Or A Suitcase Better?
Ans: In general, duffel bags are more vulnerable to theft than suitcases. Duffel bag materials are easier to slice open than a hardcase suitcase.
4.Does A Backpack Count As A Personal Item?
Ans: The short answer: If it fits under the seat in front of you, it’s considered a personal item. That means small backpacks and daypacks will usually qualify as personal items.
5.What Are Duffle Bags Good For?
Ans: Duffel bags make an ideal gym bag because they’re spacious and easy to clean. They can hold gym clothes, an extra set of street clothes, shoes and personal items, such as shampoo.